I’m not so sure that this applies to most of you, but it was a huge, huge, huge time saver for me! You see, my computer at home was having some issues causing the hard drive to whirl 24/7 until the computer overheated and shut down. So finally I decided to re-image the machine (set it back to factory defaults). That fixed the issue, but then I had the gargantuan task of reinstalling and/or updating all those programs we all use all the time like Firefox, Flash player, Acrobat Reader, Skype, Yahoo Messenger, CutePDF and on and on. I was faced with a choice:
1. Old School- go to each individual website, download the installer, run the installer, click through the options (without installing the extra bloatware like toolbars, etc.), then go to the next website, etc.
2. The Ninite way- just check the boxes beside any of the 89 applications you want to install or update, then download one installer, and run the one installer, then go grab an iced tea and watch TV. Here’s just a snippet of what I mean:
Features of this awesome web service (other than the above mentioned one download and install), text from their website:
- No Clicking Next, Next, Next- Ninite fully automates installers offscreen.
- No Toolbars- Ninite automatically says “No” to toolbars and other junk.
- Always Up-to-date- A Ninite installer always gets an app’s latest version no matter when you made it.
- It Updates Too- Just run your Ninite installer again and it will update the apps to their latest versions.
- No Signup- Ninite just works. No account, signup, or client needed.
- 32 and 64-bit- Ninite installs the best version of an app for your PC.
But wait! What about a Mac version? Uhhh, you will have to go ask the turtle-necked geek in Cupertino, CA to open up his system a little more (yes, that same one who replied to the student’s email with “Our goals do not include helping you get a good grade. Sorry.” )